Thursday, September 2, 2010

United States Army

So, I have some big news. As of 48 hours ago, I was sworn in as a Soldier in the United States Army. As much as I wanted this to happen eventually, I didn't see it going on this way, although I am happy it did.

Not 10 minutes after arriving home from my vacation in Florida, I called my recruiter to confirm my DLAB test for the next morning at Albany MEPS. Now, before I left, I remember her saying I would take the test at 6, it would take an hour, and I would be out of there by 10. Now, being so excited about my vacation to Florida, I blatently overlooked the 3 hours where I was supposed to be doing 'stuff'. Now, I looked back it while on vacation and said to myself, I might be processing and swearing in that day as well....nah, thats impossible! Anyhoo, back to the 10 minutes after arriving home. I talked to my recruiter, confirmed the DLAB test reservation, then asked what else was going on the next day. "Well, you are filling out your contract and swearing in"....um....*slight suprise*....woah! Um Um Um.....well, I have so many questions to ask you!

So after asking many questions that may or may not have been important, I called my father...told him....met my mom in the driveway....told her....and called Blair and freaked out to him too. After regaining composure, I gathered together what I needed in order to make it through the following 24 hours without dying or something.

So I stayed the night at the hotel and then the next morning made the fateful trip to MEPSALB to begin the process. Unfortunately I scored 2 points below the minimum score in order to qualify for language learning proficiency. I shouldn't say unfortunately because I really wanted to work in MI and language isn't required. I was told that I might be able to take the DLAB again once I am at AIT and try to qualify again. After working through some hiccups throughout the day, I finally completed my processing and found myself sitting in a room with a few other recruits. So, long story short....well short story short, I swore in and it hasn't really hit me yet, I have a feeling its coming soon....I felt something tonight when I was just sitting around, I thought...o my! I joined the Army, I finally get to travel out west past the Mississippi!

I am happy, I am finally following my dreams, and since my loans might be deferred, I might be starting on my masters degree sooner than I thought! Hopefully this means that everything is finally falling into place. I will be posting photos as soon as I steal them from my parents cameras; in the mean time, this description will suffice.


The following is my training schedule for BCT so you all know when I go:

BCT: Ft. Jackson Columbia, SC
Report date: 20110124


Well thats all for now!

1 comment:

  1. So I vote you being down here in Florida for my birthday since you will have about a week before having to report for BCT ;-)

    On a serious note, I'm glad to see you blogging again. I'm glad to see you're following what you want to do. I'm proud of you for going after it. And even though you didn't get the language end of things, I know you'll be happy wherever they put you with MI. It's obvious how bad you wanted this... you amaze me with how hard you push yourself, with the whirlwind trip down here, making that long drive back alone with a ridiculously sunburnt back, and having all that going on once you got back. You're going to go on to do great things and I hope the Army understands what a dedicated, hardworking, load of awesome they're getting.

    ReplyDelete